Summary List Placement
- Walmart+ is Walmart’s new subscription shopping service that’s set to compete with Amazon Prime.
- The service officially launched on September 15 for $98 a year or $13 per month.
- You can read more about the Walmart+ service here and see how Walmart+ compares to Amazon Prime here.
Walmart launched its own Amazon Prime competitor earlier this year. The new subscription shopping service is called Walmart+ and it costs $98 a year or $13 a month.
Like Amazon Prime, Walmart+ features several benefits for its members, including free shipping on many items, as well as gas discounts and a new “Scan & Go” feature for in-store shopping. More perks are expected to be added over time. You can read more about all of the Walmart+ benefits here.
If you’re on the fence about signing up for a new subscription service, Walmart is allowing new members to test Walmart+ with a free trial before they commit to a paid membership.
Below, we’ve detailed everything you need to know about the Walmart+ free trial, including how long it lasts, what you get, and how it compares to Amazon Prime’s free trial.
How to get a free trial of Walmart+
Walmart+ includes a free 15-day trial period for new members. You can sign up for the free trial now through the Walmart+ website.
When you sign up for the trial you’re first required to enter in your address to see what features are available in your area. After your address is confirmed you can either sign into an existing Walmart account or create a new one. Customers can then select the annual or monthly plan option and enter in payment details.
The website states when your trial will expire so you know when payment will begin. If you decide not to extend your Walmart+ membership beyond the 15-day trial and you want to avoid paying the fee, you should cancel your membership before the trial expiration date.
What’s included in the Walmart+ free trial?
The Walmart+ free trial includes all of the features and perks that come with a paid subscription. With that said, certain features may not be available in specific locations yet, so you’ll need to confirm what features are offered in your area when you sign up. Key benefits that members receive with the service include:
- Free delivery: Members receive unlimited “fast as same-day” free delivery on more than 160,000 products. Walmart previously offered this option for a yearly or monthly fee via its “Delivery Unlimited” subscription service. Current “Delivery Unlimited” subscribers will automatically be upgraded to Walmart+. Walmart has also removed the $35 minimum order requirement for this feature, so members can now take advantage of free two-day or next-day shipping on most purchases shipped by Walmart. Walmart+ members can also utilize two-hour Express Delivery for just $10, while non-members must pay an additional delivery fee on top of the $10 Express Delivery fee.
- Gas discounts: Subscribers can save up to 5 cents a gallon on gas at Walmart, Murphy USA, and Murphy Express locations. Sam’s Club gas stations will be added at a later date.
- Scan & Go: With the Scan & Go in-store shopping feature, members can use the Walmart mobile app to scan and pay for items with Walmart Pay as they shop.
Walmart+ free trial vs. Amazon Prime free trial
Walmart+ and Amazon Prime both offer free trial options for new members, but the duration of each trial differs. The Walmart+ trial currently lasts 15 days while the Amazon Prime trial lasts 30 days. When it comes to perks and benefits, both trials include everything that a paid subscription offers.
Though you do get 15 more days to try Amazon Prime for free, once the trial ends the paid subscription cost is actually a little higher than the fee for Walmart+. Amazon Prime currently costs $119 a year or $13 per month. Meanwhile, Walmart+ charges $98 a year or $13 per month.
For more details on how Walmart+ stacks up against Amazon Prime, check out our Walmart+ and Amazon Prime comparison here.