Summary List Placement
Good morning and welcome to 10 Things in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up here.
Let’s get started.
1. Jack Dorsey’s digital-payments processor Square is buying a majority stake in Tidal, Jay-Z’s music streaming platform. The $297-million deal will also bring the rapper onto Square’s board of directors. Here’s what we know.
2. Robinhood may drop its well-known confetti animations. Some critics say the animations make trading feel too much like a game. More on that here.
3. Google’s parent company is working on a top-secret device that would give people superhuman hearing. Dubbed “Wolverine,” the augmented-reality technology would change the future of hearing. We have an exclusive look inside the futuristic project.
4. YouTube will reverse its ban on Donald Trump’s channel after “the risk of violence has decreased.” The former president was barred from the site after the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection. Watch the YouTube CEO’s remarks.
5. TikTok’s owner, ByteDance, is developing a Clubhouse-like app for China. The move comes after the increasingly popular app was banned in China last month. These are the most recent developments.
6. Nintendo is set to release a new Switch console later this year. The more powerful model could be in your hands as early as this fall. Here are the specs we know so far.
7. Deliveroo, the online food-delivery company backed by Amazon, has picked London for its blockbuster IPO. This comes a day after a government-backed review recommended changes to London’s listing rules — and the company is targeting a hefty price tag.
9. Advertisers are scrambling after Google’s choice to move away from targeted advertising. The decision threatens to upend marketers’ bid to save digital ads. An exclusive look at what this could mean for the ad industry.
10. Meet Frank Slootman, the Snowflake CEO who ripped up the nice-guy Silicon Valley playbook in favor of a more hard-line approach. The billionaire has a nearly mythic status — and has taken a hard-charging, profit-driven path to success. Now, we’re giving you a peek inside his world.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching “Business Insider” in your flash briefing settings.