Summary List Placement
Good morning and welcome to 10 Things in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up here.
If you’re already a subscriber — if not, subscribe to Insider here! — we have an event for you. Join us this Thursday at 12:00 p.m. ET for a live panel with execs from Bain Capital Ventures, JPMorgan, Mastercard, and PayPal on the future of payments. Sign up now.
Now, let’s get started.
1. People are reporting thousands of dollars worth of crypto art was stolen on an NFT marketplace. Multiple people have taken to Twitter to report thefts of digital artwork on Nifty Gateway, with some claiming up to $150,000 has been stolen. More on that here.
2. Elon Musk has given himself a new title: “Technoking of Tesla.” The company’s CFO also got a name upgrade — Zach Kirkhor has been dubbed “Master of Coin.” We’re not quite sure what either means, but here’s what we do know about the execs’ new monikers.
3. Mailchimp experienced a “mass exodus” of women and people of color. In our exclusive report, more than 30 current and former employees detail the conditions that have allowed toxic leaders to thrive while diverse talent is driven out. Read what they had to say.
4. A Twitter glitch suspended anyone who tweeted the word “Memphis.” On Sunday, users who posted using the city’s name received 12-hour suspensions. Twitter confirmed the weird bug and apologized.
5. Paypal cofounder Peter Thiel donated $10 million to “Hillbilly Elegy” author J.D. Vance’s potential Senate run. The billionaire gave to the Protect Ohio Values PAC, an organization supporting Vance’s candidacy. Get the full rundown.
6. Disney could soon surpass Netflix as the world’s top streaming service. Disney Plus, which already has 100 million subscribers, is expected to overtake Netflix in overall subscribers by 2024 — at the latest. This is how Disney could steal Netflix’s crown.
7. Scientists have invented a tool to spot deepfakes. The tool examines the reflections in a person’s eyes, and scientists are claiming it’s 94% effective. Here’s what you need to know about the new technology.
8. VW is working aggressively to counter Tesla with its own “gigafactories” and investments in charging infrastructure. The carmaker announced plans to build six cell-production plants in Europe by 2025. Here’s what else the company has in store.
9. Leaked data show how Iconiq invested $5.4 billion in dozens of startups. Exclusive documents obtained by Insider detail how the ultra-secretive wealth-management firm’s investments have quadrupled in value. We have the details here.
10. Clubhouse hired a marketing A-lister who’s worked for Netflix, Oprah, and Obama. Maya Watson, the app’s new global head of marketing, is tasked with supercharge the platform’s growth. Take an inside look at the new executive.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching “Business Insider” in your flash briefing settings.
Sign up for more Insider newsletters here.